This salad is adapted from another recipe I found in the February issue of Bon Appetit. It is chock full of goodness and I added crispy chicken cutlets to make it an entree. You can certainly skip the chicken if you prefer a meatless meal, but it is a wonderful compliment.
I found a great smoky blue cheese that worked beautifully with the toasted hazelnuts. If you are lucky you can find the pomegranite seeds in your grocery store, otherwise you will have to work a bit more to extract these ruby jewels, but don’t leave them out – it is an essential element!
Winter Chop Salad with Crispy Chicken
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopped romaine hearts
- 4 cups sliced red cabbage
- 4 green onions, white & green parts, sliced thinly
- 1 large Fuji apple, halved, cored, diced
- 1 Asian pear, halved, cored, diced
- 1 mango, peeled, diced, or 2 Fuyu persimmons, peeled, seeded, diced
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (more as needed)
- Canola Oil
Whisk vinegar, shallot, and honey in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Combine romaine and remaining ingredients, except blue cheese in very large bowl; toss to blend.
Butterfly chicken breasts in any thicker parts and then pound out between two pieces of plastic wrap to approximately ¼” thick. Cut into attractive serving size pieces.
In shallow bowl, whisk eggs & milk together. Put panko in another shallow bowl.
Salt & pepper chicken breasts pieces on both sides, then dip in egg and then into panko, taking care to thoroughly coat with panko.
Working in batches, cover bottom of large frying pan with canola oil and heat over medium high. Once oil is hot, add chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides – approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove to plate covered with paper towels.
Toss salad with dressing until thoroughly coated – don’t use your hands or salad will wilt more quickly.
Slice chicken diagonally and arrange over top of salad. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. Enjoy!
Adapted from Bon Appetit – February 2011